Why women still want this gay Idol
By Ruben V. Nepales
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 21:55:00 11/08/2009

LOS ANGELES -- “THE world of rock has a bright new star.”

Queen guitarist Brian May wrote those words in his blog after hearing Adam
Lambert’s “Time For Miracles,” the theme song from director Roland
Emmerich’s disaster film epic “2012.” When we asked Adam to comment on
Brian’s effusive praise, the “AI” standout couldn’t hide his thrill.
“It’s such an honor,” Adam said. “Brian May is part of one of the best
bands out there ever...To have him give his stamp of approval meant a
lot to me.”

Here’s part two of our interview excerpts with Adam, who grew up in San Diego,
home to a large Filipino community. That could only mean rock’s new star has
Pinoy friends so yes, he craves our food every now and then.

Was there positive reaction from fans when you admitted being gay?

I was a little nervous coming out. But I had to do it because there was
so much speculation. I didn’t want to go through the rest of my career
with people constantly trying to figure out what I’m about and getting
into my personal life, so I just figured I’d crack it wide open. Now we
can just get past it and make some music.

Would you sacrifice your trademark look for a movie role?

As long as the role is good, it doesn’t matter if I have to take off my eyeliner and nail polish.

What are the things you’re still struggling with?

Remaining levelheaded and grounded is a slight struggle but I’m doing good.
Dealing with the lack of anonymity is a new adjustment but it’s worth
it. I’m getting all I ever wanted so if I can’t go to the grocery store
without being recognized, it’s a small price to pay.

Have your friends and family already said, “Come down,” or something?

No, they’ve actually been kind of affirming that I am staying that way—it
helps to hear, “Good for you for staying on two feet, Adam.” I am like,
“Thanks guys. If I ever start going up into the clouds too much, pull me
down please.”

Can you look back on your first “Idol” audition?

That probably was the most nervous I was throughout the entire process. My
heart was beating so fast. I was just trying to stay cool...Paula was
really sweet and I kind of knew what to expect, but the minute Simon and
Randy said they had their doubts, I thought, “Okay, this is your
moment; fight for it.” I opened my mouth and said, “Come on, give me a
chance.”

Have you seen “This Is It”? How influential was Michael Jackson to you as an artist?

That movie is fascinating. I was satisfied to see how he contributed to the
creative process...doing choreography and musical arrangements...If
something was not right, he went, “No, no, no, no,” because he just
didn’t feel it.

Despite your admission in that Rolling Stone article, women are still attracted to you.

Maybe it feels safe for them. Maybe they feel like, “Okay, well, I can
fantasize about this guy but I don’t have to worry about my husband
being mad about it.” Maybe there’s a safety there because I’m not
available for that sex.

Who were your musical idols when you were younger?

Definitely, Freddie Mercury...I discovered the music of the ’70s a little later
though. I grew up with Michael Jackson, Madonna, the big pop stars of
the ’80s and ’90s. Later, in my 20s, I got into the whole Summer of Love
era, that whole movement in San Francisco. I got into Jimi (Hendrix),
Janis (Joplin) and the Beatles, and then Led Zeppelin and Queen. I loved
T. Rex and Sweet, Gary Glitter and Bowie.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Template adamlambertmedia © 2013. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger
Top